Friday, December 3, 2010

Five Christmases

Would you like to take a trip down memory lane with me.  A bit of  "Christmas Past"?  Last summer I bought a cheapo slide scanner to scan my old slides that we hadn't seen in years and years.  This year will be our 46th Christmas together….and here's our first one back in:

1965 – Our first Christmas together in our first apartment.  We bought all blue and green ornaments to go with our blue couch and blue and green decor.  No – that's not a bong in the corner – it's some sort of beer stein because we were sooo cosmopolitan.8-29-2010_074

1966 found us with big changes.  We moved back to my home town, bought our first house which I loved – it had all double brick walls and our blue and green furniture and Christmas tree fit just perfectly.  See my nylon net tree on the coffee table?

8-20-2010_005

This is still 1966 and here we are hosting a Christmas Eve dinner party.  I'm eight months pregnant here and felt so huge – haha – I'd like to get back to that weight!

8-29-2010_202

1967 – Oh this was a wonderful Christmas.  Our 11 month old baby Jeff's first Christmas.  I'm adding lots of icicles and a touch of red for the beginning of the babe's collection.

8-29-2010_078

Isn't he darling in his little Santa Mouse that squeeked outfit?  Looks like I put nylon net under the tree, too!

8-23-2010_023

1968 – This was going to be the year of the house without a Christmas tree because we were going to spend Christmas in Ohio with Jeff's family.  Jeffy got a few early gifts at home and even though you can't see it my sister shamed me by setting up a tiny little tree  (real of course) for Jeffy.  I'm sure you've seen the Fisher Price barn in antique stores but now you can see what they looked like brand spankin' new!

8-27-2010_048

Here's the tree we sat by on Christmas morning – at my in-laws house.  It was such a fun Christmas – my mother in law Jane was the Queen of Christmas.  Little did I know that the next Christmas we would be living in Ohio.   8-27-2010_075

So…1969 found us back in an apartment, in a new state far from home but our fresh cut tree all decorated was as familiar as ever.  Our little guy was growing up getting to know his other grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.

8-29-2010_181

So there you go – our first five Christmases so many years ago.  Add another son in 1972 and 2 wives and 3 grandkids thru the years and that brings us up to 2009!  Not our best picture but we're all together!

fam2009

God Bless Us One and All!

I believe on each of the Christmases we've been married I always made a fruit salad for Christmas.  The easiest thing in the world to make:

Cut up…lots of bananas, 2 apples, an orange, some chunk pineapple, lots of pecans, and about 1 cup of coconut.  Add about 2/3 cup of sugar and mix with the fruit.  Whip up some real cream, sweeten it and fold it into the fruit. Chill and eat! 

Happy Pink Saturday!  You can see in the picture on the wall I have some pink!!!  Now go see Beverly at How Sweet The Sound!

24 comments:

  1. I've smiled through every pic-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--how fantastic!!! I LOVE this post!!!! My son who just turned 36 this week had that same farmhouse by Fisher-Price...gee, did that bring back memories...what a gorgeous holiday collection!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...is the first word that came out of my mouth as i finished reading your wonderful memory lane post!! i also love your post...the barn and wagon brought back some memories...and all that tensil on the trees makes me remember when i would help my grandmother decorate her big tree...she alwsys had lots of gold tensil to throw on it...!! :)

    hope you are having a good evening....!!

    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do the same salad at every holiday gathering ... love your memory lane. Kind of brings back memories of our early years together ... love the family photo.

    Merry Christmas, visit our giveaways~
    Have a beautiful weekend ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was absolutely fabulous! Thank you for sharing. Happy Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED that post....As someone who was born in '65 It was fun looking at all those familiar toys...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just crawled in the door from Day 1 of my sale. I am so tired my nose is numb....not kidding. It's a bad feeling!!! Our sales weren't horrible...just not as wonderful as last year. I have a few things to crank out tonight, then I'm crashing. Day 2s are typically not anywhere near as Day 1s. I hope for ONCE.....Day 2 surprises me and I sell out!! :)

    I LOVED your trip down Christmas memory lane!! Boy, do I remember decorating in blues and greens....the hot colors for us new brides back then! Loved seeing you and yours.....what fun!

    I really loved seeing the last photo of your family....what a great group!!

    I still have turkeys sitting around....come Sunday, they are marching to the basement and the santas are comin' up!!!

    Have a great Pink Sat.....that salad sounds wonderful!!!

    L, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  8. How special!!
    I love all the old photos Nancy:))
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Boy, I am worn out from decorating all the trees for my clients...but thankful for the work!
    I still have pumpkins up at my house! lol

    Next week I will start here:)
    Happy PS!

    xo
    K

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Pink Saturday Sweetie...
    What a beautiful share this evening. I have so enjoyed walking through Christmas' pasts. They were so much fun. I really enjoy the fact that you chose blue over the traditional red. Each time it looked even more beautiful. Your sons photos were so precious. How wonderful to have all these Christmas photos to share today.

    Love the recipe. Something everyone would love I do believe.

    Have a gorgeous weekend sweetie. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fabulous memories. I remember being quite little and my parents having blue & green ornaments. They were quite in style at the time my mom tells me.
    Licks & Wags, Niki

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my favorite post by far! I love the old pictures! Thank you so much for inviting us to walk down your memory lane! I really enjoyed it! You could literally see the love jumping off of each picture...
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    -April

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, What a beautiful post! You and your husband looked so perfect in those first Christmas, they looked as happy as now in the last picture! so many memories, past seasons and especially that beautiful family! that the Lord Jesus continue to bless them and spend many more happy Christmas! , Blessings, Rose Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post..I like to remember past Christmases also. it was just beautiful!
    Happy Saturday,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how absolutely charming. I love the net Christmas tree. So wonderful to have all these memories. We need to scan our pics, too.

    Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a wondrous waltz down memory lane~
    and you look radiant in every photo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This has to be the best Pink Post today! Loved looking at your pics right down to the icicles and blue ornaments which reminded me of our tree when I was growing up. You and your hubby were truly a cosmo looking couple! You have a beautiful family.
    I'm your newest follower and would be delighted to have you follow me back.
    Happy Pink Saturday! Many more happy family memories!
    Tammy @www.beatricebanks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a difference a few years can make. Thanks for taking us down your nice memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  18. great pictures...I loved your cute brick house in McAllen...you were a style diva even then. Funny about the boys' toys being found in antique and collectible stores today. Paul just put Fred Flintstone on his Facebook page. His favorite present for Christmas 1968 was his set of Fred and Dino dolls. Your pictures are a treat and a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That recipe sounds so good and I love your photos. Happy Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the blue! and all the toys in the pictures bring back such wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing your family with us.

    Hugs'
    Catlyn

    ReplyDelete
  21. What great memories you have!!
    So sorry that I’m late visiting! Had to work. Hope you had a great PS!

    ♥´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´♥ Lori Lynn ♥

    PS: I'm having a Holiday giveaway!!
    http://lorilynnscottage.blogspot.com/2010/11/holiday-happiness-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such precious pictures and beautiful memories, Nancy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful family and nice stroll down memory lane. I had one of those Fisher Price barns! LOL
    Happy PS LATE!
    Thanks for visiting my blog!
    Roselle

    ReplyDelete
  24. I absolutely love all of your photos! They are so sweet. My husband played with the same farm set I see in that picture! And I love all of the iscicles on the tree, that is what I grew up with. Your family picture looks fabulous! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete