Sunday, July 20, 2008

I have a lot of "stuff" but vintage paper is NOT among it. My swap partners Rhonda, Heidi, Shannon and Lisa have all sent me wonderful old ledger sheets, music, tickets, bingo cards and much more - if not for them I'd have a hymnal and a dictionary and some old books. So what I'll show you today are things that I feel I've been entrusted with to use only for certain reasons....so here's my story of how these things came to me.
When I first started altering books I thought why not do one for the Mardi Gras fundraiser at church the youth have every year - dinner and a silent and live auction. So I asked the secretary if the church had anything equivilent to a "junk drawer" and of course they did. I was hoping for some old bulletins (which I got) but she said let's go look in the walk in safe because there was lots of old stuff needing to be cleaned out. (Hey! Wake up - I can see you're nodding off - so I'll get to the point!)
Here's my book I made. I tore off the "leather" of a hymnal to make a soft cover I could sew. I got a medal from the 150th anniversary,
and some old communion reminder postcards, pictures of the first church that burned, and the second church that burned! An original constitution in German and an old flag made during WWI with star representing the parishoners who went to war. It practically fell apart in my hands but I saved the stars!
I stitched and sewed and glued and added prayers and poems....
Took it to the auction and prayed someone would place a bid! They put it in the live auction and a bidding war started and it sold for $120.00.
That's a whopping amount for those frugal German Lutherans! Here's a few things I still have to work with for another church fundraiser... This is a book they gave to members during Christmas many years ago. It's just full of

gorgeous pictures and stories - all in German.A postcard from the pastor!Since it was so well received a school board member asked if I'd do a book for a fundraiser for them. So they gathered up some old local ephemera and I got to work. This report card is from the 1920's I think.Look at some of the things required on the home report. Milking! Sewing! Sweeping! What a hoot. Well just read the list. (maybe we should bring back a few) Anyway, I used an old algebra book from one of the Pflugers,and graduation announcements and old envelopes and report cards and picturesand put in a lot about the Panther's football glory days in the 50's and 60's. I think they won 54 games straight - a record at the time - and the coach was even on "To Tell the Truth" t.v. show. I had his expense record CBS sent him $200.00 for hotel, air fare and food in NYC for three days! Again, I sent the book to the auction hoping it would bring at least $100 and again it was put in the live auction and ...guess what it sold for???
$1350.00!!!!!!
and here's my letter to prove it because I couldn't believe it so why would You!
So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now go take your nap! But first go by all the other blogs showing their old papers for Show and Tell Sunday. Thanks Cerri for hosting.

26 comments:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous book! Worth every penny! Thanks for showing!
    xoxo
    Dollybelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your books are gorgeous. I have all of that paper and don't really have a clue what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. So beautiful, and you used your craft to raise money for a great cause! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous treasures and books! Good for you! Thanks for visiting. Can't wait to get one of your prom dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How divine! You are beyond talented. And I'm so pleased your bid went so high on the last book. Excellent! I adore old paper and have a huge, huge amount. I actually bought an old file cabinet to store it all. The stuff I keep and the stuff I sell. And my BFF is from a Norwegian Lutheran family. Frugal is putting it mild! ;) They had a formal living room with plastic covered furniture we weren't allowed to be in (even in High School!). Blessings to you my friend---so enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What awesome books, I think worth every penny they generated...not many people would put the time and love in that you did in creating them, and now all that 'junk' will be treasured and local memories preserved - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Book looked like a wonderful assemblage of old neat school papers. What a treasure you created! Great job!
    Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Congratulations on your auctions! It is obvious that you are very talented! Your post was a delight. Thanks for sharing. Have a nice Sunday! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such creative books! And I love that old report card. I enjoyed looking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Gorgeous book!I love its!
    visit me anytime..
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat way to take something put away...and turn it into something to help others...way to go! Love the post and pictures!

    Blessings Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nancy, you are one crafty lady!! Those are 2 great stories and make for an awesome show & tell!! Both of your altered books are incredible!!

    I've nominated you for an award. Check out my blog to get the details!! Have a lovely day!!

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a wonderful book you created...and WOW and congratulations on the selling price, i bet that really made some people happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hate to dissappoint you, but you will not get one of Lindsey's vintage cards out of her clenched hands. She does need to share some of the graphics on our blog though, doesn't she?! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful story! Super cool books you created with such fabulous stuff.
    -Karoline

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous! I'm drooling here over that creativity! Congrats on those sales at auction!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love those books! I'm going to keep my eye out for things to use and try my hand at it sometime. Any hints (blogs, info, etc.) you could give me on the construction of one, I'd appreciate. Did you take classes? Great reward as well in seeing them go for such high prices! PAM

    ReplyDelete
  18. love your pink post but i love this story even more!! i adore altered art.have a great pink week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nancy, What a wonderful idea to share the stories of these two altered books...great commentary and pictures...the little Lutheran Hymnal and ephemera along with your beautiful church will always have a place in my heart. a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG! Beautiful Treasures!
    Thank You Denise Nantasket Beach,Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Good for you bringing in so much for the fundraiser. It looks amazing and I bet it is so much fun to sit and look through.

    ReplyDelete
  22. HOLY COW, Nancy! That's an amazing amount of cash! But what a great job you did on the book... The church one is really great, too. Bummer I missed Show and Tell... I didn't think of it, really. I have some fun stuff to post.
    Nice job on those books, dear!
    ;)
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi

    Love your stuff! I a vintage paper nut also. Blessings Denise

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so impressed! The creativity, the generosity, the love, and energy that you put into those books! Just so cool! The home report is hilarious!

    And you are too sweet to nominate me for an award...thank you. I am honored you'd think of me. :)

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! That is incredible. But, I am not at all surprised by your beautiful work. Well done frined and congrats!

    Rhonda...

    ReplyDelete