Saturday, July 3, 2010

Words To Live By

Anthem by Leonard Cohen

image

The birds they sang  at the break of day

Start again I heard them say

Don't dwell on what

has passed away  or what is yet to be.

Ah the wars they will be fought again

The holy dove She will be caught again

bought and sold and bought again

the dove is never free.

Ring the bells that still can ring

Forget your perfect offering

There is a crack in everything

That's how the light gets in.

image

I'm trying to figure out this song…first I thought it was a hopeless outlook and then finally I decided it meant not perfect but we always have hope – that's how the light gets in.  What do you think?

I'm joining Tracey at Notes From A Cottage Industry for Sunday Words To Live By – visit her for more Words To Live By.

Have a glorious Fourth….xoxo Nancy

10 comments:

  1. I choose to hold on to the last line....
    Therein lies HOPE...
    and FAITH.

    It begins with a glimmer...
    A spark :)


    Great post ~! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, speaking from a Christian perspective, I think that our "offerings"--our whole lives--are not expected to be perfect and, in fact, it is our broken and flawed places that show the light of God most clearly. "my strenght is made perfect in weakness." If we wait until the time is perfect to do anything, wait until we can dance perfectly before dancing, wait to give till our offering is perfect then we will wait forever.
    I agree--it is a song of hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you...I think with hope and faith many good things can be accomplished. Through trials and perserverance we can all grow and gain new experiences and knowledge. Trials are not always fun but a positive attitude can go a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the comments above!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very interesting post, one that will make me ponder for a while.
    Have a great week & thanks for popping over to Normandy to see the cherries.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Leonard Cohen...quite the wordsmith!

    Love all the eye candy on your blog! The swap looked amazing!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your sweet comment. I love this post. I am definetly a little "cracked" lol. Good to know that is just how the light gets in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy, This was such an interesting anthem. I read it several times and think your interpretation must be the intention. I think it is beautiful. By the way! I have visited your blog so many times just to hear the song on your play list, The Story. I don't know much about music, but I truly enjoy it! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete