Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thrifty Finds

What a fun week I've had thrifting.  I am always forgetting about the Assistance League Of Austins thrift store and this week when I remembered to go to their Wednesday sale – it was filled with all sorts of fun things.

al4   

I love old games and found three great ones.  Bingo! Always a fav to have on hand for art.  Keep 1/2 the cards and some for the store!

DSCN3821

This little IQ game is just so pretty with the old marbled white plastic and red pegs.

DSCN3822

Four books of birds of America and a Fortune Telling birthday book.

DSCN3823

Three for our store and one to keep.

DSCN3824

This is for the store also…a  1971 Jim Beam Texas Jackrabbit bottle.  It's just sooo cute!

DSCN3825

What will a quarter buy there?  Lots and lots of old ric rac and some turquoise ribbon of which you can never have too much!   A darling '50s housewife picture for a display at  the store $2   ( and she looks like Betty Draper herself!)  Cute flatware - $2.  And a handwarmer???? my husband wanted this!

al2 

Cute blocks that I plan to alter…4/$1!

DSCN3803

Pretty old postcards  .50! And the cutest tea party game – I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet but it's adorable.

astleague1

And for Pink Saturday  - my splurge. …..this pink plastic bank was at the Austin Antique Mall.  I thought it would look so cute in my upstairs attic bedroom but thought nahhh – until I saw the back!

DSCN3814

From my hometown McAllen there was my old telephone exchange Murry 6!  My number was MU6-4448 – no area codes then….or zipcodes either or even zones!  Five bucks for a piece of my past? Priceless!

DSCN3815 

So do any of you hail back to the dark ages when we had telephone exchanges with names? Like MUrry, STerling, or DUdley?  Imagine – a whole family had the same, single telephone number and you always knew where to find the phone  because it was – get this - connected to the wall and the battery never went dead because….there was no battery!!!! Ahhh – the good old days….but thinking back we also didn't have air conditoning etc so nevermind – I like 2010 just fine! 

I'm joining:

Claudia for Friday Finding Beauty and

Cindy for Show and Tell Friday and

Beverly for Pink Saturday and what the heck maybe that Thrifty Thursday meme!

xoxo Nancy

23 comments:

  1. great post...I remember when we were BL#### can't remember the numbers but remember the BL#

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some wonderful buys. I enjoyed looking at them all. Yes I can remember. Our's was em4-**** and my mother still has the same phone number as she did in the 1950's. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...would you look at that Bingo game? They're wood...just like I remember from my childhood. Wow.


    My Friday Blog - Monkey See, Monkey Do

    Hope your weekend treats you well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like you said... a piece from your past... PRICELESS... Dang doncha wish, like I do, that we kept more of this fun stuff?

    Im not a keeper of 'things' right now so i dont suppose that any one will be happy when they rummage through my stuff when Im gone. But I know I sure like to look at it now.

    Thanks so much for the fun-- Im exactly like you -- Lovin AC!!!

    (fanning my self as we speak) LOL

    Hugs GF
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear, this is very interesting post! my fave post also.. reminds me of the games I played when I was a kid! thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our phone number was GL and my mom has the same phone number today (plus a few digits.) Thank goodness no more party lines.

    Wish I was closer. I would love to traipse through history at your store. Love the housewife/cake picture.

    Thrifts around here don't often have very old items - or if they do I never get there on time to be lucky. And I haven't been patient enough to stand in line for estate sales this summer.

    Really fun finds you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember the phone on the wall, and more than one family one the same line, different rings for each family. No A/C, No color TV, No computers, hmmm...2010 is much better. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi!
    Lots of great goodies you found. Love the pretty letter blocks. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone in "Blog Land" seems to find incredible things in their thrift shops! Where do you find thrift shops like this? Not here. Love the old Bingo game and the old bird books. Wonderful.

    Yes, the whole phone thing has changed dramatically. Back when long distance was so expensive, any family member driving a distance called to let us know they had arrived safely. They did this by placing a "Person to Person" for themselves. It was the cheapest way to let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy, I remember Jefferson Savings and Loan! Our first home (in my practice marriage) was financed there...that was probably my bank...they probably gave it to Paul when we bought the house...you should give it to me...just bring it with you the next time you come HaHaHa...seriously, you made out like a bandit...wonderful finds...I'll bring some 60's pennies for your cute new PINK bank next time I come for a girls' night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Pink Saturday Nancy! Wow, you found some great thrifts this week, lucky girl! Have a great weekend, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our telephone exchange was Cedar. :) I love the pink clock and that tea party game...how cute. HPS! xo Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it all. Happy Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That pink clock is adorable. You found some great stuff. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a HAUL you made, Nancy!! I NEVER find cool stuff like that so cheap!! LUUUUUUUUUUCKY you! :) I don't think I could part with any of it. That Pink Clock is awesome!! Yes, I recall when my phone number was three longs and a short. Did YOU ever have a crank phone? My siblngs and I had lots of fun with ours. :) Then I think our first married phone number was JE 1 3411 which stood for JEFFERSON 1 3411!! :) Party lines....were you ever on a party line? Now those provided some good times, too!

    Thanks again for the swell bd wishes and the cute cybercard!! Your the best!! L, dana

    ReplyDelete
  16. In NYC, we were Murray Hill exchange.. That brought back memories. Great score with all of those goodies. A belated Happy Pink Saturday to you! Peggy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Indeed, these are thrifty finds! I like the Jim Beam Texas Jackrabbit bottle the most. It will soon go to antique collection. All are nice. You’re great.

    May Your Day Be Lovely,
    The Muse

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Rooster Party Participant,

    Just a reminder that this coming Friday, August 6th is the Rooster Party. I am so looking forward to seeing your post.

    Thanks for joining and I hope you have a wonderful time.

    Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep, I come from that era too! LOL Great finds Nancy...I particularly like the tea set game. Too cute & what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought that your blog was so cute until that ugly little plastic bank. That is ridiculous that you would spend anything on it. Bring it to the ranch next time and we will rid your collection of it. I would hate that people would judge you and your thrifting skills on that piece of junk.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this whole post! I just spent quite a while enjoying it AND your music!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

    ReplyDelete