Thursday, June 30, 2011

And Justice For All

I haven't gotten much done this week but I did make this.  An old lampshade frame I covered with seam binding and then sewed together crocheted doilies to cover it.

DSCN8260

This made me feel a bit more productive than just sitting in front of the television since I could work on it while watching television.

DSCN8263

  And I realize that it's not pink and there's no red and blue to go with the white for a red white and blue Pink Saturday so I'm posting about our court/justice/legal system this week.

I'm fessing up right now – I've been watching the Casey Anthony trial all week.  It's sort of like a wreck you pass by – you don't want to look but you can't keep your eyes away.  Maybe you haven't heard about this trial. Perhaps you have been shipwrecked on a deserted island.  What could have been a complete circus was held mostly in check by this man – Judge Belvin Perry.  He's a great American in my book.   Here's a bio about him and it's really interesting reading. 

image

And he doesn't suffer fools…...

image

Just ask the idiot who decided to give the prosecutor the "finger" on the sly in the courtroom today.  Talk about swift justice.  He was immediately brought before the judge, sentenced to 6 days in the OC Jail and fined $420 plus $200 court costs…and I'm sure he needs a new pair of undies as he was so terrified he could barely speak. He's appealing – go figure that.  Actions have consequences.  He respects all members of the court and expects you to do the same.  It also seems "expert" witnesses can be bought.  And some shouldn't be bought - "Grief" expert Dr. Sally who the defense felt should instruct the jury on how to deal with "grief" since the jury may have never experienced "grief". 

Anyway I learned a lot about the legal system this week and am amazed to find that everything is public.  All court documents, charges, taped jail conversations, personal letters etc are made available for anyone to view online. 

And my heart just breaks for a little girl who seemed to be adored by her family yet somehow ended up dead and thrown away like garbage at the hands of her mother. 

I hope she gets justice.

Thank you Beverly at How Sweet The Sound  for hosting Pink Saturday.

Off my soapbox now.   xoxo Nancy

7 comments:

  1. I'm also watching the trial...and agree with all you've said. Judge Perry is no-nonsense for sure...which is what you need a judge to be. I only hope that Caylee rests in peace & that her murderer of a mother gets what she deserves...I'd be a terrible juror!

    I'm glad to have a friend with the same little TV watching secret as me...now if only the Real Housewives of OC hadn't ended...maybe we need the Beverly Hills girls back again. Hey...how about some TX girls? I'd watch that.
    xo
    Debbie
    ===^..^===
    p.s. love your lampshade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet is that lampshade. Your a very creative busy bee. I was gone for a week, not I'm trying to catch up. Its amazing how much needs doing when returning home from a trip. Happy Pink Saturday, so happy you came for a visit.
    Happy fourth of July

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I don't miss this trial either! How could anyone, even down here I watch it at FOX NEWS on Direct TV! Yes, I've admired this judge everytime! The judge is no crap man, he is the way all judges should be, so I'm really sure he'll be fare and not let this woman walk, like they did years ago with OJ. Love the lamp shade. Have a great 4th. of Julu weekend! Hugs, FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes....this trial is so sad. I am still having a hard time trying to grasp the idea that a woman would do such to her child.
    And YES!....I love that Judge Perry. When the good are so few, they stand out like bright beacons in a fog.
    I am also loving you music player. :-)
    Have a pinkishly beautiful Independence Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm loving your lamp shade, Nancy. I think there must be some kind of "hidden message" in that creation...since you made it while keeping on top of the trial. Is it a "shroud" over a little "light"? (Caylee)

    I have to say, I watched every stinkin' minute of the OJ Trial. . . I was obsessed with it and the "theatrics" that went along with the entire spectacle. However, I get SO upset when I see that little child's innocent face on the news along side that of her nutty mom. . . that I just can't watch it.

    All I can see is that baby dying and SOMEBODY/SOME FOLKS covering it up. And all of the STORIES that have evolved as time has gone on. . . it all makes my head spin and it makes me SICK to my stomach.

    I know I am in the minority about this. . . heck, I was glued to the DIana Death and Funeral and as I said, the OJ Deal, but I just can't watch this particular trial day by day.

    I do agree with you, that the judge seems to have a "hold" on the process. . .even though it's wild! I would never be a good juror on that case....and I have to say that I feel sorry for those folks who are on the jury. I'm sure many actually wanted on it for the notoriety of the trial and the potential money it might bring to them, however, I pray, for the little Caylee, that there are mostly decent people on it who are there because they want justice to rule. However. . . I just don't see how it will. . . .the legal system is SO screwed up.

    OK.....I do appreciate your very early happy birthday wishes!!! You have a pretty good memory! Bonnie and I spent the day at various flea markets in the older part of KC.....they occur once a month in old buildings where various vendors rent space and "set up shop". It was SOOOOO hot in these buildings (most didn't have A/C that was working...just fans that weren't cutting it)...but these spots were hopping! We may set up a booth in one of them....maybe! ;)

    Hope you have a great Pink Sat. and a fantastic Independence Day!!!

    L, Dana

    PS I think Caylee is lucky to have someone who is as bright and articulate as you watching over the proceedings. I pray she gets the justice she deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IF all Judges would be as bright & fair & hold up the law as does this one, what a court system we'd have ... I love the Judge.

    May her flag fly high & proud forever over this great land ... may God see the changes we need & grant us that blessing.

    Happy 4th, sweetie.

    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am in the group who can't watch but also can't miss the updates daily. Joining you in hoping for justice. Thanks for visiting my blog this Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete