Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Horchata

I hate, hate, hate the heat – good gosh – it's even an anagram! How fitting.  Recently I came out of my cave and discovered Horchata.  Oh my gosh – it's the drink of the gods.  It's the most soothing, cooling drink I've ever had.  I grew up on the border and somehow never noticed that it was everywhere.  In a little Mexican restaurant recently I saw this…

image

and the owner gave me a sample and he might as well have given me heroin!  So I'm sharing this recipe with you – there are dozens on line.

 image image

Ingredients:
1 cup long grain rice, rinsed
2 quarts water
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
1/2 cup white sugar
Directions:
1.     In a large saucepan, combine rice, water and cinnamon stick. Set aside for 3 hours.
2.     After 3 hours, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool.
3.     Puree rice mixture in a blender until smooth. Strain through cheesecloth or a fine sieve. Flavor with vanilla and sugar to taste. Chill, and serve over ice.

Okay…did you do that and it tasted like crap? Me too!    So do what I did and go to Walmart and get this on the Mexican Foods Aisle.

 0004274319020_215X215

To add a few extra calories and deliciousness here's my recipe:

6 cups water

image

1 can evaporated milk

 image

3/4 cup mix. 

Stir, chill, pour over ice and try to drink just one!

horchata

Even my grandchildren loved it so you know it's good.  xoxo Nancy

4 comments:

  1. Uh-Oh. sounds like something I need to stay away from! Nah! At my age I feel like I need to leave no goody untasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going o look for it sound so nice to have for friends are over.
    Thank You for coming by will be back. Laura Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crazy girl, I've never heard of this!
    In Louisiana...us Cajuns EAT the rice. It would be a sin to sift it out! haha I wonder what my neighbors would think of me! hahaha
    Miss you girl~
    you always make me smile :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, I've had a Horchata or two in my time and one thing I've learned is that they are not all created equal...I almost never order it because you can't tell if it's going to be ucky or wonderful.If it's ucky, you're stuck sipping and fake smiling trying to finish it. I knew the basic ingredients, but certainly had no idea how labor intensive it was. Congratulations on your easy version recipe discovery!!! We'll let you make it for the next YaYa gathering. I just may get adventurous and try the packaged instant version. Add it to our list of things to help us deal with the heat. Stay cool, my friend.

    ReplyDelete