Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

image 

The year was 1972 – the top song was “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face”.   It was summer in Ohio and thunderstorms had raged through the night before pushing out not only a heat wave but my little guy who was two weeks early.  This was back when you found out the sex of your baby when it was actually born and dad’s waited in the waiting room but  my husband the trailblazer was going INTO the delivery room with me. (I just adored my ob  – Dr. Brannon – so much that I wanted to name my son after him but ended up changing one little n to a d.)   My little BranDon arrived at 9:28 p.m. and as the doctor held him up with the announcement “It’s a boy”  his sex became all too clear as he peed all over me.  Wouldn’t you think he could have aimed him at his father? or moved him? but no the little squirt just kept on squirting. Haha – everyone thought it was sooo funny – actually I did too and I’ve probably told him that story a hundred times since then – it was his favorite “naptime” story.  He was the best baby and I wanted to keep him that way forever but he grew up – so very fast and that was 37 years ago.  How is that possible?  Happy Birthday Squirt. Going to bake a cake now!  Love you, Mom  

6 comments:

  1. I love that story about your little "Squirt"!!! Happy Birthday to him!! Yep, in the "olden days" we were prepared for a boy or a girl by decorating the nursery in various combinations of green, yellow, and white!! :) It was all great...and, honestly, I don't think I'd choose to know even if I could have. It was just part of the thrill of "expecting"!!
    My little squirt nailed the wall next to the exam table in the doc's office when he was just 7 days old. I was really glad it was the wall and not me!! However, when the nurse came in and I was caught wiping down the wall, I had to fess up...I wasn't used to changing a boy baby, yet!
    :)

    Keep cool....it's been warm here today! L, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post Nancy. Happy Birthday to Brandon. Love the story, I've been peed on so much working at the vet's that I probably wouldn't have batted an eye lol. Thanks for sharing such a special memory. Hugs, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL... now I know why I only had girls... isn't it funny... they grow up and we stay the same age... how is that? ;)

    hugs. Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post about your Son. My "babies" are growing up so fast also. My one baby is now 20 and in the Army, My other Baby 13 and starting High School in a few days. It happens so quick. Happy Birthday to your Son!!!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Thank you for posting the sweet story about your son's birth... best birthday wishes to him! My son was born in 1972 also (the happiest day of my life), and I used to sing that song to him each evening when I rocked him to sleep. And he and I danced to it on his wedding day. Thanks so very much for bringing back such wonderful memories.
    Warmest regards,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again

    I forgot to mention that my son's name is Brendan.
    Not exactly the same as your son's, but pretty darn close.
    Best,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete