Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sweet and Sinister Swap Ideas

Gosh I'm happy to be in Artsy Mama's Sweet and Sinister Swap. The latest interview on the group blog was with Fiona from Scotland who inspired me to create a Halloween Journal/Inspiration book. As soon as I read it I was inspired! Rather than overthinking it, I grabbed an old children's library book and started cutting and pasting. I used a roll of vintage wrapping paper as a background...then added a bingo card and typewriter keys and sheet music to highlight the date!
After adding some lace and a fabulous clock I started the inside. I simply cannot talk on the phone without doodling! Instead of pitching my doodle it went in my book along with a banner I'm working on, a poem and some inspiring ideas. These pages have to stand up to lots of little readers so they are extremely sturdy! Did I worry about acid or lignen??? nope. This is for fun and inspiration - as Kari advises....
"It’s your journal. Don’t over think it, just collect, glue, embellish, enjoy, use. It would be great to see a fabulous diversity of journals. Why not start one this year? Use it as a place to record all these fabulous Sweet & Sinister projects and take it from there, adding to it every year as the mood takes you."
These fall projects take my mind off of this.......sweltering heat! I am so ready for fall and the promise of cooler weather!!!

{{{To my McAllen/RGV friends...hearing Percy Faith's Autumn Leaves....are you picturing Wells of Weslaco on your black and white tv? showing the latest Miss Pat dress you're dying to buy???}}}

Stay Cool........Nancy

7 comments:

  1. Well, aren't you just living up to your banner's title, you crafty little page, you!...love the inspiration book and the Cavalier attitude about acid-free lignin-free ingredients...O.K. now I'm inspired to do an inspiration book of my own...maybe it will clear my work table of some of the magazine clipping I have so dutifully saved...now's the perfect time to gather my scattered fall thoughts and plans...
    and yes, "Autumn Leaves" always transports me to Well's of Weslaco TV ads...I can even remember the modern 50's brushstroke cursive script the name was written in.
    But "Hot Hot Hot" makes me think of the Caribbean and a tall rum punch...I'm getting hungry for pineapple...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy-found you through the Sweet & Sinister Flickr Group. Your blog is wonderful and full of inspiration and this journal is amazing, but I could never cover up the images. I better get busy with my projects and stop gawking over everyone else's. Thanks for sharing....I've bookmarked your blog. I'll be back.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... I just LOVE your journal... now I think I really must do one too! This swap is just too much FuN!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the journal and really like your moon doodle, he's so expressive.
    *~*~*~*
    www.melissaburford.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Halloween journal is great! I'm loving all the Sweet & Snister projects that are beginning to show up!
    *Heidi*
    Everyday Cookies

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic!!! So glad you were inspired. Can't wait to see more pages.
    Cheers
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nancy! I love your little journal!!! I KNEW I should've joined her swap.... I was worrying about over-doing. :P Oh well, what a fun piece! Great job!
    Hugs,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete