Monday, August 11, 2008

Sweet and Sinister Swap Project

Heidi at Everyday Cookies came up with this great tutorial for painting a sign on glass. Her lettering is perfection. Do not be fooled by this title - there is nothing Sweet about my project. Painting on glass requires the right paint, the correct brush and a steady hand. None of which I possess! You should also follow her instructions closer than I did! I also made this project into a much smaller size so my lettering space was only 3 x 5. I should have stuck with the 15 x 22 like she suggested.. Also, I had my white shred nearby so I thought why not put that behind the lettering. It was a good idea but had I wanted perfect lettering it would have been wise to let the paint dry longer ( she specifically said to do this!). As it turned out, the paint was scratched by the shred giving this project a decidedly SINISTER appearance that I liked. I had to cover a black background and white was too blah looking so I backed the shred with old sheet music. I think it will work for me! I actually learned a lot from the mistakes I made on this project!This project is from the Sweet and Sinister Swap group Artsy Mama is hosting. I'll be doing this again with the right paint and brush and use a larger size glass and frame.
Now, would you like a piece of candy??? Well I would but I just started the Atkins diet and I'm forbidden!!! No wonder my hand is so ShAky....have a great week.! Nancy

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful job on the sign! You are more patient than me-I gave up on the whole painting on glass thing! I'll have to try it sometime when I can get the right kind of paint. Yours is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy! Fabulous! First of all, you are 100% correct on the brush. It MUST be a good and fine brush! I think that'd be my number one TIP! I *love* that you changed it to "shoppe", for an olde feel, I was going to, but decided not to. (I wish I did, but I could still change it!). I *love* the sheet music and the shredded music behind the glass, that was SO clever!!!! Darling sign! And, I can't really tell that it's smaller in size! But larger *is* easier to paint. I am thrilled to see your finished project. Thrilled!!! Thanks for posting your photos!
    *Heidi Woodruff*
    Everyday Cookies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, your sign looks great. I love the shreds and of course, I think you can never have too much sheet music on any project...adds the right touch. The frame is "beWITCHingly" elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, I love your sign and I love the effect given by the letters being scratched a little by the paper, or whatever, because it makes it look antique or vintage, which I feel like it the exact effect it needed. You know if you found an old sign like this, it would look a lot like yours. It wouldn't be perfect. I think yours looks great, I can't wait to try this sometime. Gin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful sign! You are so very clever - all your pages look wondeful and inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi.
    I LOVE your sign! LOVE how the words crackled too~ I think it looks totally COOL like that!
    WOW!
    Lea

    Very creative to spell shoppe like that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am impressed, Nancy! I don't believe I have ever painted on glass---but yours is great and very "sinister" indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful results!!! I'm so excited for the Halloween swap! Good luck w/ ye olde Atkins. I'll be thinking of ya while I go nosh on some spinach dip. I'm so bad...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Nancy! I think you sign looks amazing and I wouldn't change a thing. I especially like the way the letters are scratchy and vintage looking. I would want them to be that way, not smooth and "new" looking. Well done, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you on Shannon's blog. I will be back to check out the rest of your "stuff". Are you coming to Silver Bella?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I like the scratched up look of the letters! And great idea about using the paper shreds.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete