Friday, May 3, 2013

Under The YaYa Tree

Hello blog buddies.  I’m topping off my week of getting absolutely nothing productive done by doing a blog post to avoid anything that might possibly be viewed as constructive! It’s taken me all week to recover from this past weekend celebrating our three YaYa April birthdays.

apr birthdays 008

We met at Barbara and Judy’s Rio Star Ranch. (Sisters as opposed to a couple…not that there’s anything wrong with that as Seinfeld would say)  That’s my Arbor Mist on the right…nothing but the finest for me while the others drink their Texas wines.

apr birthdays 006

We started off with a toast…or two or three….and some hors d’oeuvres.

apr birthdays 007

It’s true – the stars at night are big and bright…deep in the heart of Texas and that’s where we dined. The sisters had the most beautiful table laid under the Palapa.

apr birthdays 010

apr birthdays 013

LaVerne and I gave the girls their presents all pink and ‘50s related!

apr birthdays 014

And we had our gluten free cupcakes with those cute tiny spoons and stayed up too late for five old YaYa’s  who had to get up early to head west to visit the

apr birthdays 011

LBJ ranch and the Texas White House.  Don’t you love Lady Bird who made us so aware of our state and country’s natural beauty?

We had a lovely breakfast and about two hours later an old fashioned picnic.  Pimento cheese sandwiches, deviled eggs, fritos, and cream cheese stuffed celery. Stuffed celery? Why yes – it was the epitome of fancy if you grew up in the ‘50s!

 

apr birthdays 022

apr birthdays 023

And a root beer in a glass bottle. Guess what – I ate that sandwich – I never ever thought about it and nearly choked when I realized what I’d done.  Apparently my mind was in the ‘50s that day, too, as it’s been almost a year since I’ve had anything with gluten.  Anyway, I survived and we headed over to the Johnson’s Ranch.  We’ll actually it belongs to all of us now – you and me and the rest of the U.S. as it was left as a national treasure.

white house

Here we are  under the giant oak in the front yard of the ranch.  I share this with you even though I always detest having my picture taken anymore (i.e. food consumption above!).  Patty’s sister and her friend joined us and our tour guide, Randolph, took this pic for us. LaVerne(LBJ herself as that’s her initials and her dog’s name) me, Patty, Patty’s sister and her friend, Judy and Barbara.


We weren’t allowed to take pics inside but it was not fancy or elegant but a really homey, comfortable home except for an itty bitty plane outside the back door.

. apr birthdays 027

I was able to find some online pictures and this was my favorite room – Ladybird’s bedroom.   It was just a small room with a sitting area and a desk just out of view  and a small bathroom but isn’t it so cozy?


We then headed back to the other ranch, dropped off the  three of whom two  were now one year older and headed up to Austin.  After leaving Patty, on my way home we were blessed with some much needed rain and then this…beautiful rainbow.

apr birthdays 045

Happy Birthday to the April girls – I am so grateful to have these four friendships of over 50 years!  I hope you all have longtime girlfriends who celebrate each other – it’s one of life’s greatest blessings.

Be sure and visit Beverly at How Sweet The Sound for Pink Saturday

10 comments:

  1. Nancy....I know you realize what a lucky gal you are to have such a close group of buddies....but I'm telling you again: YOU ARE A LUCKY GAL!!! Of course, they are lucky to have YOU!!! OMG...those birthday cards you two made are fantastic!!

    This was such a wonderful post! Wow..that BD party just looks amazing! I LOVE the table set up under those bright Texas stars!! I would have loved to have been a little mouse (well, maybe not a mouse, but a sweet little kitty cat) sittin' in a corner just listening to all of your fun jabbering!!!

    THEN that trip to the LBJ ranch! OMG...that sure looks awesome. I have to say....(now don't get mad at me) I was never of fan of LBJ, but I loved Lady Bird!!! And I would love to visit that place one day. I'd REALLY love to visit the new Bush library!!! I digress.....

    That picka - nic looks incredible!!! I actually have a few of those wonderful table cloths that I've picked up here and there when I find em cheap. I have a blue one like that in my picka-nic stash!!

    OK...gotta go over to packet pick-up and pick up packets for four people (for the 5K in the morning) The weather here is still real bad...no longer snowing, but cold and drizzling. I've been cleaning like a mad woman cuz several who signed up for the run or walk will be coming here for breakfast in the morning...whether we do it or not. It wasn't a very bright move on my part. I'm wasting valuable running energy scrubbing johns!! ha ha!! :)

    Have a great weekend!

    L, Dana

    PS I didn't get into that trial. Don't know why...it looks interesting. Bet there's already a mini-series in the works!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy, your post is so weet and I am very glad you decided to share the April birthday girls with us. What a wonderful celebration. The food was fun and kind of crazy but it is not all about the food re: picnic, it is about lifelong friendships.I'm glad you didn't get sick eating the sandwich with gluten. Yikes. My SIL would be deathly ill. She severely allergic to wheat products.

    I would love to have seen the Texas White House. Lady Bird's room was homey and pretty. She was not outrageous in the way she lived. She had a huge impact on the beauty of our small town of Franklin. There is an LBJ Ranch for boys here and she spent some time in our town. Her Beautification ideas were carried through here in a big way.

    Thank you for our sweet anniversary wishes. It is hard to believe those 50 years have come and gone. We need to 'seize' each day because time is illusive.

    Wising you many happy days and birthdays.
    Love, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know all the Ya Ya's had a wonderful time for their April birthdays!
    I never got to see LBJ's ranch when we lived in Cotulla, TX, but my husband was often sent on a detail with other Border Patrol agents to guard it.

    Lady Bird did a wonderful thing for Texas and it would have been nice if all the states had followed through....Love those Blue Bonnets!
    ♥ Jil

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful birthday celebration. I would love to visit LBJ's ranch.

    Every time I see a billboard on I-70 I am aggravated and think of Ladybird and wonder what she would think. Thanks for this post!

    Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you had such a fun girls weekend! I have a couple of friends I travel with and we have the best time together! I highly recommend it to everyone. I love those tablecloths for your dinner - sumptuous lace covering everything!
    Happy Pink Saturday!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to the April birthdays. The Texas hill country is a great place to celebrate. Love the photo of Lady Bird in the bluebonnets. It's one of my favorite images of her. Looks like you girls had a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am SO jealous. :) How much fun. Glad you enjoyed yourselves, and happy birthday wishes to all April fool's. ;) Our daughter, now 20, was born April 1st. ;)
    Happy pinks!
    PS-Love that title.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What interesting and lovely post. I enjoyed taking a wee peek at the Texas White House.. Happy Birthday. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't believe the 'old guy" told me that I had to come look at this! I guess his new lurking is "My Crafty Little Page". I have always called him "pinky T" so appropriate that he checked out pink Saturday. Love you and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is not from Mike...it's me because the ole guy told me I had to come see this. I have always called him "Pinky T" so I guess appropriate that he is lurking on My Crafty Little Page "Pink Saturday"! Love you and see you soon. RioStarBarb

    ReplyDelete