Friday, September 23, 2011

Cedar Ridge Homecoming

Last night was my grandson's schools homecoming game and I really, really, really wanted to show you pictures of some of  the most bizarre "corsages" you've ever seen….Texas High Schools Homecoming Mums! So what did I do? Forgot my camera which means I'm going to hijack some pictures off the internet!

First up I'll  show you what girls in my class wore for homecoming mums.  A nice large real chrysanthemum with purple and gold streamers and if you wanted to be showy maybe a pipecleaner "M" in the middle of it. (What gives with the rainbonnets 1965 girls?)

image

Fast forward to the new millennium.  This ain't your daddy's mum – ( that is if your daddy wore a mum which he didn't because he's a manly man)

image

Yes – that is a disco ball and feather boas in that mum. Go Mustangs…go bears…go tigers…go to the chiropractor after wearing one of these babies!

image

So anyway last Saturday my grandson and I made a mum for his date.   Here's the base.  We made our own because this stage to get you started at Hobby Lobby was $27!  Since I had a ton of the ribbon already we only spent $39!!!!

DSCN9086

Lots of staples and lots of glue – now you know where this glue got its name!

DSCN9087

Add three big mums

DSCN9089

Then start blinging it out.  Yes – every drawer basket box sack was open in my craftroom and it still needed….more!

DSCN9090

So of course when it was done later that night my flash wouldn't work and I  have no good pics of m  4 ft masterpiece :(

DSCN9100 DSCN9097 DSCN9098

Are you in awe of my mum making skills?  Okay – maybe not – and there's no boa or teddy bear in there because I have standards – well…..sort of.

1

and guess what?  The dudes wear a "garter" on their sleeves.

image 

So what do you think my Pink Saturday buddies? How about a pink mum?  That's upping the ante, huh? (yeah, right – what school chooses pink and white as their color??? Go Pink – Go White - Go Kitties – not gonna happen.)

image

Anyway I've got next years mum on the drawing board.

mum1

6000 yards of ribbon etc.  So if you think of what else should be on there leave me a note and if there's not enough room in the message leave it over at Beverly's How Sweet The Sound.  xoxo Nancy

12 comments:

  1. Your post made me smile, Nancy!! Your mum is terrific!! 6000 yards of ribbon?!! You could make a float with that!

    Hope everyone had a great time!!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious. I had no idea this was the custom these days. My girls graduated waaaaaay back in 2005 & this hadn't hit our area. However, they know me & would have kept this custom a secret...my craft room is packed! Thanks for the fun. HPS!
    Wags, Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really out of the homecoming loop!! I didn't realize these gargantuan corsages were the thing ..... but I love them!!!

    I hope the homecoming was a blast...do they usually have the games on Thurs. nights? They're all on Fri. around these parts.

    Yes, in the olden days, our corsages were one huge mum with pipe-cleaner letters!! Maybe a little ribbon, but that was it. I think I still have one "preserved" in one of my HS scrapbooks. I remember my fresh. and soph. years in college that we all sported a corsage to the homecoming games, too....even if we didn't have dates....and most of us didn't! :) By the time I was a Jr. and Sr. I was married...and we couldn't afford a corsage..even if we had gone to the games! :)

    I hope you're having some good fall weather. Ours is wonderful..40s and 50s at night...70s in the afternoons. No rain...and we need it, but I have to say I'm loving not having it to spoil these awesome temps.

    Have a HPS......L, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy you are cracking me up. I love your plan for next year! lol
    What an awesome tradition with the mums..I I love it!!
    Happy Pink Saturday..xo Tami

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was too funny! You made me smile. I was unaware of the current "mum trend". I think "mum" should be the work here! I rather liked the 1965 picture!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy-- its been entirely too long since I have stopped by and boy am i glad I did!!

    This is absolutly fab!! I bet your grandson was so proud to have such a cool grandma as you!! wow...way to have the stuff!!

    You are always here to bring smiles.

    Thanks!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. oohhh thank you for my Saturday morning laugh ! Love the "tacky" reference. You are a hoot !
    I remember my Auntie's making corsages for homecoming etc. , we thought they were big then ...
    (())

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol! Still laughing! You did good! I like yours better than the picture you showed...I had a horrible time even finding a mum!

    You could add a ham sandwich next year....they will need the protein to get through the evening wearing such a thing.

    "Got" the tacky glue thing...hahahaha!

    My mums, back in the dark ages, were the great big real ones and I thought they were beautiful!
    HPS!
    Jil

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy pinkness...Happy Autumn....I am so excited for Fall, I know you are too !!It just makes me want to cozy up...enjoy your week-end!
    God Bless You
    Kandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! What a great tradition! And what fun that you did this with your grandson...I, of course love the pink one...Pinkim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh Nancy, your mum is beautiful. I can't believe all of that ribbon. Your post is so darling and I love the vintage pic too. I can't wait to see what you do next year.
    XO, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh MY!!! I think I was lucky that my babies graduated in 2001 and 2004. I wonder if this is the custom for all the high schools now?? I could make some extra spending $$$$ Will have to look into this. But anyways, your MUM is just dazzling!!!
    Hugs,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete