Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Sheltie Herding Trials!

The Shetland Sheepdog also known as the "Sheltie" was fine tuned over the last century to herd sheep.  This instinct comes natural to them.  Given the opportunity they will keep the sheep together taking them where ever their master orders them.  The shetland sheepdog being of extreme intelligence loves the challenge of "herding"  Being the good dog parents that we are, we, along with fellow sheltie owners arranged an instinct trial for our dogs.

First up…Rowdy:

DSCN5319-1

Next came Simon…

DSCN5343

Then came Sunshine

DSCN5368

And Bridgett

DSCN5381 

And Dillon has them on the run.

DSCN5371

And finally although she went first – Lillie Louise…..

DSCN5303

 DSCN5307

DSCN5309

 

DSCN5312 

 

DSCN5308

Truly – could anything be more fun than herding.  Now let's smell each others butts!

DSCN5387

No sheep were harmed during these trials – especially not by Lillie!

Recently Updated

I'm joining The Little Red House today for Mosaic Monday with this mosaic showing the many colors of Shelties!

11 comments:

  1. LOL...sounds like my dogs....

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I came to visit for the Give Thanks blog party from Vintage Nest and loved this article! I have a Border Collie granddog - another herding breed and I could just see him having a great time with your dog while I have fun with you taking pictures with my easy to use digital camera! (Granddog pix are as much fun as grandkid pix :) ). Thanks for a delightful time and HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dogs. I'd love to see them in action for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these photos and the comments you've made on the photos!!! Love that Lillie and I'll bet her Daddy does too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sheep don't stand a chance with the little shelties herding them up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun photos and captions. I lov ethe Shelties, they are such pretty dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post! Enjoyed every bit of it!!! Left me smiling! Thank you! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just put the FUN in Monday!!! I laughed and laughed at Little Louise's comments. Were you a comedian in a former life....cuz you sure are in this one!!

    Super photos of those wonderful doggies!!!

    I just returned from hitting two grocery stores i norder to obtain the ingredients I needed for "the feast". Actually, it'll be pretty small and traditional....just our kids, their family and/or significant other....and me and the hubs. It'll be fun...and tiring and fattening!

    I wish you a great day....Turkey for Two sounds awesome!!!

    L, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, she is such a cutie! Thanks for sharing at MM. :) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the post...pictures and captions are sooo funny! Jeff's thought bubble is the best...

    ReplyDelete