Friday, February 27, 2009

Save The Pink Bathroom

I'm sending out an urgent SOS to all my pink sisters today but first I'll have to backtrack. I was at an estate sale last Saturday when I spotted a completely fabulous Pink ceramic piece straight out of the 50's of three little pink fish. For my store, of course so I began looking for information on it, and came across a website after our own heart. Here's an exerpt of 50's Pam's information of why pink was so popular for bathrooms in the 50's. “Mamie Pink.” The iconic decorating color of the 50s, arguably. Ubiquitous in fashion as well as 50s bathrooms and kitchens, of course!
The mid-century trend to pink seems to have come directly and irrefutably from Mamie Eisenhower, first lady from 1953 to 1961. Pink was Mamie’s favorite color. She wore a pink gown with 2,000 pink rhinestones to Ike’s inauguration. Ike sent her pink flowers every morning. Her bathroom in Gettysburg was pink down to the cotton balls. She re-decorated the private quarters in the White House in pink. So much so that reporters called it the “Pink Palace.” The color also seems to have been known as “First Lady Pink.” As a result of all this pink-think, there was probably no question that American women (and marketers) would pick up on it. It also was a color trend right in line with the exuberance of the time — and even supportive of the return of women to the home after WWII and their complete remaking of the American domestic landscape."
(Don't you know that Mamie would be all over PINK Saturday???)
But people are DESTROYING these treasures and oh my goodness those "makeover your entire house and your neighbors in one hour for under $50 on HGTV" - well they're just the worst offenders. So 50's Pam is asking for your help to take the pledge to:
Save the Pink Bathrooms Our goal: A gazillion people pledged to preserve vintage pink bathrooms. Maybe you have a pink bathroom. Or you just love them. Do your part and pledge to never destroy a pink bathroom. I promise...and just in case I ever get a 50's pink bathroom...I'm keepin' those fishies! And yes, there they are in my store...just so my husband believes I'm trying to sell them...as long as he doesn't look at the ridiculous price - they're mine!


Want to know WHY we love pink so much??? There's a scientific explanation over at 50's Pam's Save the Pink Bathroom.


To visit all the Pink Saturday blogs visit Beverly's How Sweet The Sound who is our tireless hostess pink week after pink week! Thank you, Beverly

27 comments:

  1. I love pink, and pink bathrooms were great, my father in laws main bathroom still has the pink tile.
    Save the Pink Bathrooms! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this post brought back some memories. My Grandparent's had a pink bathroom and had fishies almost identical that were on the bathtub wall, there was 3 separate ones with bubbles..I always loved them! I remember they had a black counter top with silver starbursts, it was perfect with the pink sink, tub and toilet! I can't wait to show this post to my Mom :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A house full of pinks hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder what the husband will say :-)

    Adorable pink little fishies

    Happy Pink Sautday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pink post. Mamie looked great in her pink dress. Happy pink Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Pink Saturday!

    You always have such wonderful pink posts!


    ~ Gabriela ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mamie Eisenhower sure looked attractive in those pink gloves and pink dress. Too bad 50s pink bathrooms are being rennovated. They call that progress. So tell me, who likes change? Not me! Happy Pink Saturday!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also heard that Mamie was really a snot and that not too many people in the White House liked her at all!

    What a lovely blog and such great pinkies that you share with us this Pink Saturday...l♥ve 'em!

    Pink Saturday is just too much fun for me...never get anything done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those fish... I don't have a pink bathroom, but it looks pretty sweet to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, wonderful pics and so informative! I have a Pink Palace of another kind on my Pink Saturday post today ;) Those fish are fantastic!
    Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pink tile bathroom, and those TV shows are the worst offenders! I can't stand to watch. I'm with you, girl! Love that Mamie pink!

    Happy PS...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love vintage pink bathrooms, and if we were every lucky enough to find a mid century house with one intact and in good shape, no way would I change it! Great post. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty Nancy!!
    Hope you are having a wonderful pink Saturday!!
    Now I feel like getting out some old movies and watch them!!
    Want to come over?
    We could invite a few peeps over!!
    Smiles,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you can save as many pink bathrooms as you can. I've never had a pink bathroom, but if given the chance, I'd probably go for the light light blush color. I love romantic shades of pink light that...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great post.Either you are very knowledgeable or you really did your homework.
    Each week I proclaim a winner.It means nothing except to me and perhaps to you.But I think yours is the best pink Saturday toady.congrats.
    Long story short.my dh was carrying off a bunch of "junk"for an elderly lady he's knowN for years.In that junk were several treasures.One of which are the pink and aqua fish that hang on the wall.I know you can see them in your minds eye.She was trashing them.HE BROUGHT THEM HOME TO ME?!!!!!!!!!yIPEEEEEEEE...aNN

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, fascinating!! I knew pink was in fashion then, but I didn't know exactly why!! Perhaps they were the Harvest Gold or Avocado of their time?

    I've visited that Save the Pink Bathroom site before, but not recently. I'm hopping over there right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't believe I even knew Mamie loved pink? As a matter of fact I was only 3 when she first came to the White House...no wonder I didn't remember her loving pink. Also, your fishes that you are showing in your shop hidden from your husband cracked me up....Believe me he will never know you aren't selling them.

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  17. i would love to have a bathroom with pink tile. the pink fish is the coolest. thanks.
    marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. now, pink may not be my favorite color...but I am 100% in agreement with you in regards to saving that pink which is vintage! my heart weeps when they just demolish those treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your post! To pinkin' cute I say! Oh...how I wish I could "peek" around your shop! Happy pink saturday and thanks for all the info..I am going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll take that pledge. Great post!

    Happy Pink Saturday, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed reading about how pink bathrooms came about! I didn't know that tidbit! Thanks for sharing!
    Happy PINK!
    Lorena

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great to hear from you*! You live in Austin, and you call ME lucky*? OH WOW*! Back in 1981 we ALMOST moved to Austin, and always wished we had. God's country for sure*! Thanks for stopping by and for saying hello. I'm adding you to my bloglist and will be back often*! Have a blessed day*! _Carol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for coming by to visit. It would be fun to go thrifting together

    ReplyDelete
  24. Bathrooms were not only pink, but green, blue, and yellow. Color was "in" in the 50s. Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nancy,

    You asked if I covered the "pink chair" and all I can say is "Laudy NO" the only thing I have ever recovered is my son's chair seats and that was with the help of my husband. (which turned out pretty darn good. Thanks for stopping by for "pink Saturday" I don't believe I have anything else that will look that good for the next "pink Saturday". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL! Those fishies are great.... I LOVE pink, my grandmother had a pink bathroo- sorta... It had a pink/gray marble, red carpet and pink, pink, pink accessories! It's still there to this day...my little brother and his wife are enjoying it now. (or maybe they're not!) ;P

    ReplyDelete