Friday, December 18, 2009

KK’s My Favorite Tradition

Ask either of my kids or  Judy’s or Barbara’s kids about KK’s and they’ll tell you it’s one of their favorite traditions along with all their parents. 

KK stands for Kris Kringle – like you didn’t already know that!  We started doing this in 1981 and continued for about 12 years.


 


 






Around the first of December we would have a kick off party to draw names and for the entire month sneak around from house to house and leave little treats for our KK’s.  Sometimes it would be at our house









 or Judy and Brian’s house








Or Barbara and T’s house   








We all lived within a mile of each other and the mailboxes at night would be a busy place.  We’d slowly drive up the street…lights off put a little treat in the mailbox




 





and peel out with maybe a honk of the horn or just rush home and call them up, voice disguised and whisper “K K.” (This was way before caller ID and cell phones!)  If you happened to receive the call you’d rush to the mailbox and hopefully your name would be on the little treat!  




    





We were soooo sneaky and the kids thought it was great fun to try to catch your KK.  One Friday night the boys went undercover on the roof of the house and waited for hours to see if a car would drive up!  I even got an ice cream sundae one night! 




 





This went on until a couple days before Christmas when we would have our big “Reveal” KK party.  Everyone hammed it up then, too.  Slowly walk around the room, maybe hand your “final” gift to someone and quickly grab it back until finally you presented your big final gift to your KK.









 Of course it was never about the gift…it was about the fun! Heaven forbid the ribbing you’d get if you’d been a lousy KK!   I love our pictures from those years.  Two babies were born…the kids went from little to high school, puppies became old dogs.  That was before Brian died  and the kids grew up and we all moved apart.








Judy moved to Corpus, Barbara was still in McAllen and we had moved to Austin .  It’s not that we don’t see each other…(we all live in Central Texas now) but every five years or so we have a reunion weekend…dedicated to KK’s. I’ve put the pictures somewhere safe…so safe I can’t find them!!! but here we are…first generation KKs.



  




Now it’s the grandkids who love to do KK’s. We do a stocking for each person – If there are 10 girls each girl brings 10 things for the girls stocking – same for the guys and same for the kids. I think we had around 30 stockings that were filled to the brim!  It’s different from what we originally did but we just kind of honor those magical years. We look at our old pictures and remember.  So my favorite tradition hands down…KK’s!  Thanks for the memories KKs! 








And thank you Beverly for the opportunity to share my story.

xoxo Your secret KK….Nancy

15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tradtion! A lifetime of memories!

    Christmas Blessings. Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun tradition you've had all these years! I'm sure it's provided you with many dear memories.
    Merry Christmas...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great - and fun - tradition. Exactly what a tradition is all about. My post this week is my mother's Lethal Sherry Trifle recipe (it has an awful lot of sherry in it) which we have had every single year since I was 15 (I'm 57) so that definitely counts as a tradition in our house, lol.

    Have a very Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, what a fantastic tradtion! I loved reading this so much. I have never heard of KK's, but this sounds like something I would love to do.

    We do stockings, and I love to shop for fun gifts for those. My mother was BIG on stockings, and the older we got, the loot got better. ;-) But I loved the juicy fruit gum and the sparklers from the days of yore equally.

    Happy Pink Saturday!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and fun tradition. I love it. That is nice you still try to get together.
    Please come by and visit me and read about my tradition.

    Merry Christmas
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Pink Saturday!

    Love your Christmas houses!



    ~ Gabriela ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun and soooo special! LOVE the Christmas houses!! Merry Christmas an Happy Pink Saturday!

    Back Porch Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy~~~

    The KK game sounds like so much fun. i can't believe the extremes all of you went through!! A look~out on the roof!!! lol!! We played a similar game at the office where I worked, sneaking little gifts in and around our 'Secret Santa' person. Oh, great memories!!

    Happy holidays, Nancy! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. How much fun is that?
    This whole post made me smile and think of the many ways we all celebrate this wonderful season...

    Dear friend I hope you have a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun! I bet you have a whole sled full of fun stories about this. Wonderful how you made the story go along with the ornaments on the tree. Have a great Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas sweet Nancy~~
    I was just thinking...

    I met you originally on flickr~~Where we have so much fun!!

    Love to see what your up to in blogland...

    Maybe we are addicted to high tech creativity~~~ cause now we see each other on facebook too!!


    Happy PS!!
    Blessings to you and your family,

    Kay Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing the tradition of the KKs. I always loved Secret Santas when I taught school. It's fun to think of little gifts with one individula in mind. Your stocking idea sounds terrific. Our stockings are a big part of our Christmas traditions. Hope you have time to stop by for a visit. ~ Happy Pink Holidays! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  13. such precious tradition with lots of memories.. Merry Christmas! HO HO HO..

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a FABULOUS memory, Nancy, of the years your family did KK (which I had never heard of and so I was REALLY glad you told us what that meant!! :) That sounds like so much fun!!! You certainly came away with lots of happy memories from that time. . .my family (both sides) probably wouldn't do that....they are sometimes a bunch of Grinches. It's OK...I get my fun fix with my friends! :) I love how you adapted and changed and created new traditions as your family changed and scattered. You are so lucky to have a large and close knit group!

    I LOVED the photos on your previous post from your Heritage Tour! Your decorations looked so great....what a lot of work, but aren't you glad NOW that you did that! Your home looks great for Christmas, plus you helped generate money for a worthy cause!

    I hope your Pink Saturday was a great one.....I so enjoyed this post of yours! L, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  15. How Fun and great memories ! I love your pretty houses and the Ice cream cone ! Sweet !! :) Merry Christmas and a Happy Belated Pink Saturday !!! :)

    ReplyDelete