Friday, July 22, 2011

The Kindly Kennel Klub

Oh good gosh…could it be any hotter?  Yesterday the temp sign at the Dairy Queen was blinking 111 degrees!!! It's beyond ridiculous how miserably hot it is.  Our good friends/former neighbors came for a visit and we went out for a short while and then decided it was just too hot to be getting in and out of the car which was about 160 degrees so…we headed home.  Home – where there's a/c, cool drinks and lots of dogs!

DSCN8442

Buster the weiner dog found the perfect spot…Buster and his mom thought it was a wee bit cool in our house.  Today our friends Mel and Tracy headed for the  river and Schlitterbaun to cool off for a couple of days floating the Comal.  While I know they're expecting this…I'm afraid it may look more like…..

image

this!!!!!!!!!!  Now I know why they closed the Comal last weekend!

image

Anyway, and might I say wisely,  Buster stayed behind … he tucked into his favorite spot.  Me into mine!

DSCN8443

So on this hot July day I'm staying inside surrounding myself with dogs, Pink and lots of cool things.  A little blogging, a little nap and in between reading on my Kindle and skyping with my son.    I've only had the Kindle for a few weeks and I absolutely love it. 

DSCN8454

I've read about 4 books since I got it and that's more than the past two years!  Right now I'm reading Stealing Faces – a 99cent book that is really, really good.  Jean Auel's last Cave Bear book was finished off in no time flat without my neck going out from reading the 10 lb book in bed and Stephen King's last book of four novella's was one of his best books I've read in a long time.  I love the fact that you can download and read the first chapter of a book for free to decide if you want to buy it or not.   I also cleared the clutter off the table in my craft/dining room and guess what?

DSCN8430

You can actually use the table for dinner!!!  That hasn't happened in awhile!  ( No – I wasn't having a Mardi Gras party – just wanted to try these bakery cookies – they tasted about the same as they looked! blech!)

Look at the girls….Lillie  couldn't even look when she saw Buster the Weiner dog – she thought he'd had a tragic accident and lost his legs and Iris the Shame Based Sheltie was looking innocently Guilty.  Do you know why? 

Well – when sitting down to Jeff's beautifully plated dinner, Tracy, sounding much like Baby Bear of Goldilock's fame, asked "Who's been eating my dinner?" A half eaten chicken salad?   Iris is my # 1 suspect although it could have been Buster.DSCN8221

I definitely need to keep a closer eye on my little wards here at The Kindly Kennel Klub.  

Hope you are all staying cool on this Pink Saturday.   Beverly at How Sweet The Sound hosts each week come rain or shine – even though all we've had this year is shine and shine.  Anyone out there with too much rain? or cool weather?  Send it our way – c/o  The Kindly Kennel/Kindle Klub.   xoxo Nancy

12 comments:

  1. Ooooohh.....if only I could, I would love to visit the Kindly Kennel Klub. Could I bring my 2 kitties, grand dog and of course, THE STONE RABBIT? :)

    We are baking in KC, too....right at 100 yesterday and today.....with no rain in sight. I'm trying my best to become a hermit....and only exit this A/C filled home when absolutely necessary.

    Love the wiener dog photos....and your friend with the throw!!! OMG..your A/C must be doing the job!!!

    Hope they have fun on their float!! I recall seeing lots of folks go down the river when we visited New Branfels several years ago...it looked so peaceful...not at all like the second Float ( and Bloat :) photo you shared!! :)

    Your table looks great....your food snatching poochie looks darling....and those cookies even look good to me!!!

    So, you're my second blogging buddy that loves her Kindle! :) You both are making really good cases for having one!!

    Gotta scoot!

    Have a great PS and keep cool! L, Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my what a wonderful pink post. I loved your story and your photo's,
    especcialy the crowded one. Not nice to go there on a hot day. LOL
    Happy pink Saturday and I am going to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Pink Saturday
    Oh the cute photographs.
    Would any like a long stay in Scotland LOL.
    Stay cool - as we are doing over here where it is not particularly warm at the moment.
    Wishes and thanks for visiting.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good to me, Nancy. The furry friends are darling!
    Happy PS weekend ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Friend,
    Your doggie is adorable! Love the vintage plates and tablecloth.

    Temp's are hot everywhere in the US right now. Thank God for A/C. I'm staying in as much as possible.

    That pic of your lake with all those peeps is so funny! Bless their hearts they are trying to stay cool!

    Hugs,
    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost didn't spot Buster in that first picture!! He is a cutie...all the dogs are!

    I bought hubby the Nook for Christmas and he read a ton of books in the first few months, too. I have never tried it, but want to. I, too, like how you can read the first chapter.

    We are really hot here in the upper Midwest. It is supposed to cook off this weekend...it better, I have tons of yard work!!

    Have a great weekend, Nancy!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. ewwww, all those people, that looks even hotter!!!! I think your dog has the right idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope those crazy kids, Mel and Tracy enjoy their day on the Comal...it's been a zoo this summer with the Guadalupe being so low, all the tubing traffic is funneled into that tiny little river. You know the Comal is the shortest river in Texas...only two miles long. I'm with you...too hot to run errands and get in and out of a hot car. And too hot to sit in a black inner tube in the broiling hot sun with only your hindquarters in the water!!! That Buster is a cutie. He should be glad he got to stay in the coldest house in central Texas. Tell Mel and Tracy "Hi" from me. Can't believe she is under a blanket!
    Have a Pink Week. Stop by Riverside to see what I'm showing today...Hint: It comes from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have my sympathies. We used to live where it got that hot but couldn't take it. We are now where it is about 70-80s in the summer, more my temp. Make lots of iced tea!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun post! Here in London, we're actually having to cope with humidity - which is so rare, no-one knows what to do! Even the large stores don't have AC, and the buses (we travel a lot by bus in Central London - no parking, a Congestion Charge etc, it's not worth even trying to drive...) still have the heaters on. In fact, they can't turn them off - they are fixed (and of course, no AC) so it's miserable. I'm beginning to look forward to Winter!

    Happy Pink Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way too hot here too Nancy.....
    I had to laugh at the pictures of the Comel. What on earth were those people thinking?
    He: "Let's go down to the Comel and float.
    She: "Yes, let's do!"
    Later--
    He: "Gee, look at all those people."
    She: "Looks like fun, let's get in too! I just so love floating up against strangers"
    :-)
    Are they all crazy!!!
    I'd see that and head in the other direction. yuck....
    :-)
    BTW...I love your tablescape....
    Have a pinkishly beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nancy, friends stopped by (Randy and Shellie Foster) this afternoon and they were on their way to dropp off son #3 for tubing with friends...after being stuck in traffic for 30 min and getting nowhere near the river, they said "Forget it!" and stopped in to see us instead...madness!

    ReplyDelete